Sunday, November 10, 2013

Pie Camp Braised Beef Short Ribs

Let me apologize in advance for this recipe. There is no picture of the finished product. Terry was conducting Pie Camp III (don't ask) and use of the still-unnamed CP seemed to be the perfect solution for dinner prep, as every inch of counter space and the range were dedicated to pie. Some have seemed dubious of the morning prep-work prior to crock potting. My goal, at least for the moment, is to keep the prep time to less than 30 minutes (20, ideally). This recipe uses things that we had on hand Friday morning.

Pie Camp Braised Beef Short Ribs

7 pieces of meaty beef short ribs (I haven't a clue as to the weight)
1 pint of canned whole tomatoes (I used our own Juliette tomatoes, but San Marzano would work as well)
1 large onion (1/2 chopped, 1/2 cut into thin slices)
2 stalks of celery, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
2 tbsp. tomato paste
2 c. chicken stock
3 tbsp. honey
flour/s&p for seasoning and dredging.
olive oil for browning

Place chopped onion and celery in bottom of CP. Dredge the short ribs in flour/salt/pepper. Brown on all sides in a few tablespoons of olive oil. Add browned meat to CP. Add stock to browning skillet, stirring to loosen the brown bits in the skillet. Pour over meat in CP. Sprinkle the basil and oregano over CP contents. Add tomato paste. Drizzle CP contents with honey. Cook on low for 10-11 hours. Serve with mashed potatoes and a green salad. This recipe made enough to serve 6. Fresh pie from Pie Camp III was the perfect dessert on a cold autumn evening.

I won't make the mistake of a pictureless entry again. I'm sorry. I'm new to this.

You may want to dig out your CP (I know that you have one) and make sure that it's in working order. Keep an eye on this blog for an important announcement about your CP in the near future.



2 comments:

  1. Didn't you have to skim the fat off the short ribs after cooking? I suspect you of skipping steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK so I made this recipe exactly almost. I substituted a jar of my brother's chili for the tomatoes and it was great. I can also report that the leftovers, including the mashed potatoes made a very tasty pizza last night when topped with a little cheddar cheese.

    ReplyDelete